Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Harvest Time 2- Peach Pies

So my peach pie recipe is VERY VERY simple. I use the recipe for crust on the Crisco website, except that I place the Crisco in the freezer not just the fridge. This year I forgot to grab some more pie tins, so I used my square glass 8x8's to create our delicious dessert. I would not recommend this as a common practice. Rolling crust to fit a square container was not as simple as for a round.
I made 5 double crusts at once, I ended up freezing three for later use this week.

Okay so the filling!
Place peaches in boiling water from 30-60 seconds(greatest discovery in a while) and then directly into COLD water, because we don't want them to continue to cook. Then simple peel off the skins with your fingers. No more peeling with a knife, YEAH!
I worked in small batches so that the beaches would not turn brown while I was still peeling.
Then I sliced them up and took out the stones. Thinking about trying to cold sprout a couple....I will let you know how that turns out.
Next layer your bottom crust on your pan, layer with peaches, I like to cover the crust so well that you can no longer see it. Then I sprinkle with 1/4 sugar, but in saying that I think I use closer to 1/8 of a cup. If your peaches are not sweet and flavorful you may want to add more for your taste.
The carefully place the top crust and pinch to seal the edges. Don't forget to cut vents in your top crust.
I cooked the pie at 400F on the middle rack for 30 min then covered and cooked for another 10. You should always start your cook time at least ten minutes less so 20 min because of the difference in not only ovens but peaches as well.
I then hand sprinkled a little sugar on the top while the pie was still hot to make it shimmer, yes it only makes it look pretty.
Cool, cut and EAT!
Hope you enjoy.
Check back later today for a twist on this recipe using red wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment